Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bonjour, we're here


Although D and I are often late for everything (we like dramatic entrances), we're always early to the airport. We arrived between 1:30 and 2 p.m. for a 5:15 flight. Everything was fine until the worker couldn't find an e-ticket for Baba even though we had a confirmation e-mail. The worker tagged our bags but wouldn't check them in until they could confirm Baba (technically a lap baby) had a ticket. Air France sent us to Terminal 2 (from Terminal 5) so we could figure it out with Continental. D and Baba went while Eena, Apa and I kept watch over the bags. Eena enjoyed dancing on the suitcases. Finally, with 45 minutes until takeoff time, we had the e-ticket and officially checked in our bags. We ran through security, several gates and arrived as passengers were boarding. Right across from the gate was a small playground, which would've been great had we not been stuck dealing with the airline.

As were running through security, the TSA agent asked me if I adopted from overseas, how long it took and where I adopted from. I figured she was asking security questions to make sure Eena was my child. Then, she told me that she's been trying to adopt a baby for two years, the first country fell through, and that she put in the paperwork for an Ethiopian baby. She said her social worker told her that she can't rent a room in her two-flat or something like that. She really wanted to talk more, but we were late for the plane. I gave her my email address, and she was very excited that she could email questions to me. She said I'll know it's her because she's Susan from TSA. I find that I meet more and more people in the adoption world wherever I go. Which is why I wasn't surprised when the 20-year-old woman next to me on the plane told me she was placing her unborn child up for adoption. She's 17 weeks pregnant. She's a college student and said that she's not ready to become a mother. She's working with an adoption agency, and she's going to have a partly-open adoption (she provides medical info and the family will send yearly photos of the baby). We both enjoyed talking to one another about adoption from both sides. I told her that adoption is a wonderful gift, and that whichever family she picks will be appreciative. Later on the flight, I realized that within one hour I had met one woman who wanted to adopt and another who was placing her baby for adoption. I told the college student about the TSA agent, and asked the college student to email me who the agent can contact at her adoption agency. You never know I may have made a baby connection.

The flight went smoothly (gotta love vegan meals especially because they're delivered first). Eena and Baba both slept on the plane, which was definitely a bonus. We kept them busy with coloring books, Band-Aids, etc. After we arrived, it took forever for the shuttle service to drive us to our apartment. We must've been in the vehicle for about two hours during which Eena vomited on D and I about three times. Thankfully, she's feeling better. I napped earlier. Davis, Apa and Baba are all napping. Eena is watching Dora videos on YouTube while I type this. I'm ready for everyone to get over the jet-lag so we can start exploring this glorious city.

1 comment:

Ashley Winters said...

Wow! What an adventure you've had already. Looking forward to reading more.

Love,
Auntie Stephanie